Improve the Shopper Experience
Give your Visitors their Own Account
Giving the opportunity to your online customers to create their own account in your instance will allow you to:
- Facilitate the sales since the customer automatically retrieves his own contact information when checking out his cart;
- Give customers access to a portal including related messages, orders, invoices, registered claims, etc.
- Analyze sales per customer account.
And how can you get this up and running?
- Tick Allow external users to sign up in the General Settings. Keep the Template User as template user. This is a standard customer portal user.
- Now connect to your website as an anonymous visitor.
- Open the product form and sign in to the instance by clicking the dedicated button and then selecting Sign up.
- Select an email address not yet used by existing users.
Calculate & Bill Shipping Costs
Odoo embeds a full Delivery Method configurator in order shoppers to get a delivery cost computed automatically
based on advanced rules.
To set your own delivery methods:
- Install eCommerce Delivery from the Apps menu.
- Set up some delivery methods as explained in the video.
- Add the ability for the shopper to enter a specific delivery address in the address form by applying Allow a different address for delivery and invoicing in Sales settings.
- The Delivery Product is the delivery item to display in the sales order and in the invoice. The price is taken from the delivery method form, not from this product.
- If you want to have the delivery price proportionally adjusted according to a specific product variable (gross volume, weight, gross volume*weight, price, quantity), switch the Price Type in advanced tariff grid lines from Fixed to Variable. The delivery sales price will now be applied to one unit of this variable (i.e. 1kg, 1m³, 1kg*m³, $1, 1 unit). Weight & Gross volumes can be set in the Product form (Inventory tab).
Integrate your e-Commerce Platform with Paypal
The default payment method you get with the e-Commerce app is the Wire Transfer. This method asks the customer to pay the order (or an advance) manually in your bank account. Odoo also embeds integrations with online payment platforms like Paypal, Ogone, Adyen and Buckaroo. Authorize.net is coming soon.
Setting up & testing online payment methods can be done quickly. Let’s give a go to Paypal and test the entire selling process.
- Install the Paypal module in Odoo.
On the Paypal-side:
- Create a business account on Paypal.com.
- Connect to your account at Paypal.com and go to My Account > Profile > My Selling Tools. There click PayPal button language encoding in More Selling Tools section. Once in the Language Encoding page, click More Options and replace the two default formats by UTF-8.
- Create and set up sandbox accounts by logging in at https://developer.paypal.com/webapps/developer/applications/myapps with the same credentials. When creating a new Paypal account, two default sandbox accounts are automatically generated: one to play the role of the buyer, one for the shopper.
- Log in with your buyer sandbox account to https://www.sandbox.paypal.com (same password than real account) and apply the same format change.
On the Odoo-side:
- Go to Settings > Payments > Payment Acquirers, set the Paypal Environment to Test and enter your buyer sandbox account as Paypal Email ID.
- The Paypal Merchant ID is not mandatory (extra verification level). It is provided in Paypal under My Account > Overview.
- Tick Use IPN to get instantaneous transaction status from Paypal.
- Online payment methods charge you for each transaction made by your customers. If you want to automatically charge transaction fees to your customers, tick Compute fees in the payment acquirer configuration page and set specific fees. When they reach the payment acquirer page from the cart checkout, customers will be charged the extra fee amount.
- Domestic and International transaction fees are specific to each payment acquirer. Paypal ones are known by the system already.
- Once you feel confident with the payment workflow, you could:
- switch the Environment mode from Test to Production;
- replace the Paypal Email ID and the Paypal Merchant ID with credentials of your real account.
- As soon as the payment is marked as ok, the quotation is validated. You then have a sales order. A link to the payment transaction (status, reference, etc) is provided within the sales order in the backend interface.